Saturday, February 15, 2014

Number of units, optimization and executable size

I tend to split my code in small units instead of writing a big unit with lot of classes or functions. The drawback is the large number of files but, in my opinion, the benefits outweight it.


One thing that always bothered me was if this practice has any effect in file size.


Seems not. I wrote two versions of the same program. In the first, all classes (one descendant of another) are defined in the same unit while in the second each class lives in a separated unit. When compiled with the debugging info the separated program is a little bigger. This difference in size does not exist when compiled without debugging info.


As a side note, i noticed that compiling with -O2 flag leads to smaller executables compared with -O1, the Lazarus default. It's just a few kilobytes but worth the note.  





No comments: